Act the Word

Hello, God Cravers, Let's act the Word!!!

I wrote an essay and then told my friend to evaluate what I had written; so, he pointed out that I made use of many simple words. He said I could make use of some technical words to spice it up and thus, I decided to improve my vocabulary some more.
I planned to learn new words everyday through my phone dictionary and this was how it went: I would open the dictionary, check out the random section for any word, read its meaning, and that ends it.

However, whenever I did that, i easily forgot what i learnt. I mean, let say I was asked what word I learnt in the next 8 hours, I would not remember.

So, some weeks ago, I visited TMO's blog, read some articles and from there, I learnt some new words. Now, from the context of USAGE of these words and my own research on their meanings, I am able to comfortably remember them and even use them.

Why? What made the difference?
I saw those words being USED in context, I did not just read them in isolation like I did in my personal 'word-study'. I saw how these words were used in the articles and that made them stick. Yeah, that made the difference.

Now, that is the same way it is with reading the Bible and living a life pleasing unto God. So many Christians just read the Bible merely to have the head knowledge, and soon they forget what they have read. Why? They never applied it in their lives.

There is something about theories and practicals. If I read the recipe for cooking fried rice and I tried cooking it, i know it would stick to my brain than if I just read the recipe and do not take any action. Am I right?

Anybody can read the word of God and have the knowledge, in fact let me inform you that the devil is knowledgeable about scripture. What then led to his downfall? It was his refusal to do according to its instruction.

James 1:22-25
22. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23. For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
24. For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
25. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

James referred to people who read the Word without applying it as deceivers of themselves.
Now, it is still sensible that we are deceived by others, but to deceive ourselves! Not good, right?

Also, he compared the situation of reading the Word without applying it with FORGETTING what one looks like after looking at the mirror.
If you read the Word of God without applying it, you would forget it and that way you would not be able  to live in a way pleasing to God.

Psalms 119:11  Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Hiding or storing God's Word in our heart goes more than reading. It involves meditating, saying and DOING.

James spoke about the difference between hearing the word and doing the word. There is a difference between hearing the word of God or reading the bible or even at times preaching it and doing it.

The reason why we have more religious people and less godly people, is because most people only read their Bible but do not apply its principles in real life. The religious activity of reading is only carried out, the action that follows reading the Word which helps to live a godly life is missing.

The Christian journey is a practical one, we don't just profess Christ with our mouth, we live Christ.
Yes, we live like him; it is a practical life we have in Christ!!!

The doer of the word is the one who is blessed in deed.
Have you acted the word today?

Shalom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Review on The Movie; THE TRAIN by Mount Zion Production

IF HE DID IT BEFORE

PLEASE OBEY